Atkins has recently been selected by Energos to help deliver an advanced conversion facility as part of Viridor and Glasgow City Council's £146 million Glasgow Recycling and Renewable Energy Centre (GRREC).
The GRREC will divert Glasgow’s domestic residual waste from landfill in line with Scotland's zero waste plan. It will operate a three-step process comprising a Smart Materials Recycling Facility to enhance recycling, anaerobic digestion to capture food and organic material and the Energos conversion Facility to recover renewable energy from post-recycling material that remains.
Under a framework engineering services contract, Atkins is assisting Energos in tendering of the major and long-lead plant items including the furnace and steam turbine generator packages. Once vendors have been selected, Atkins will provide engineering and commercial support.
The power generation plant forms part of the overall Viridor recycling-led clean energy recovery facility at Polmadie.
Energos' element of the project will produce electricity, and potentially heat for district heating, with the electricity used to power the remainder of the recycling facility as well as providing renewable electricity to the grid.
Building work will begin at Palmodie in the summer, with completion expected in early 2016.
Atkins has been involved in a number of energy from waste developments, most recently advising on environmental permitting and waste characterisation for TAQA, the global energy company based in Abu Dhabi.
Tuesday, 04 June 2013 22:23
Energos taps Atkins for Glasgow EfW projectWritten by Administrator
Latest from Administrator
- New Poultry Wastewater installation taken care of by Watermark Projects and Landia
- Tracking chemicals of concern in products – SCIP database ready for use
- ACWA Power to highlight its role as a global accelerator of energy transformation at the virtual WETEX 2020
- Eco Wave Power Develops a Game-Changing Wave Energy Power Plant Verification and Maintenance Software
- Brenntag will implement global transformation program to position the Group for sustainable organic earnings growth