Asia is expected to register the highest refinery alkylation capacity additions globally between 2021 and 2025, contributing about 61% of the total capacity additions by 2025, says GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
GlobalData’s report, ‘Global Refinery Alkylation Units Outlook to 2025 – Capacity and Capital Expenditure Outlook with Details of All Operating and Planned Alkylation Units’, reveals that Asia is likely to witness a total alkylation unit capacity additions of 138 thousand barrels per day (mbd) by 2025. Of this, 29 mbd of capacity would be from new-build refineries while the rest of the capacity is from expansion of the existing refineries.
Teja Pappoppula, Oil and Gas Analyst at GlobalData, comments: “Together, China and India account for 82% of the alkylation unit capacity additions in Asia by 2025. The Vadinar refinery in India is the largest upcoming expansion project in Asia with 32 mbd of capacity expected to be added in 2024. Among the new-build refinery projects, the planned Gulei refinery in China is likely to add a capacity of 10 mbd in 2022.”
GlobalData identifies Africa as the second highest contributor to the global alkylation unit capacity additions accounting for about 18% of the total additions by 2025. The planned Lagos I refinery in Nigeria is one of the highest contributors in the region with 20 mbd of capacity expected to become operational in 2022.
Both the Middle East and North America rank third with almost equal contribution of about 7% each to the global alkylation unit capacity during the outlook period 2021–2025. In the Middle East, the planned Al-Zour refinery in Kuwait is the highest contributor in the region with 9 mbd of capacity expected to become operational in 2021. In the North America, the planned Dos Bocas refinery in Mexico is the only contributor in the region with 10 mbd of capacity expected to become operational in 2023.
- Comments provided by Teja Pappoppula, Oil & Gas Analyst at GlobalData
- Information based on GlobalData’s report: ‘Global Refinery Alkylation Units Outlook to 2025 – Capacity and Capital Expenditure Outlook with Details of All Operating and Planned Alkylation Units’
- Announced/Planned: Denotes only new build assets that are in different stages of development and have not started commercial operations.
- A new build project that has not received relevant/ required approvals to develop/build the project is considered as Announced.
- A new build project that has received relevant/ required approvals from the national government/ energy ministry/ regulatory authority/ local environmental authority/ port authority/local government, etc to develop/build the project is considered as Planned.
- This report was built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research, and in-house analysis conducted by GlobalData’s team of industry experts
4,000 of the world’s largest companies, including over 70% of FTSE 100 and 60% of Fortune 100 companies, make more timely and better business decisions thanks to GlobalData’s unique data, expert analysis, and innovative solutions, all in one platform. GlobalData’s mission is to help our clients decode the future to be more successful and innovative across a range of industries, including the healthcare, consumer, retail, technology, energy, financial and professional services sectors.