Meets growing demand for high-performing moving parts from material handling to appliances to automotive and consumer electronics
Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE), a global technology and specialty materials company, has announced the launch of its global tribology product platform to meet the growing demand for high-performance materials for use in moving parts. These low-wear, low-friction engineered plastics are developed for moving and sliding parts used in everything from conveyers to vehicles to orthopedic implants.
“The growing challenge is to manufacture smaller, stronger, higher performing products faster and more cost effectively so that OEMs are able to meet market demand and remain competitive,” said Scott Sutton, president of Materials Solutions for Celanese. “Celanese has developed the broadest, most technically advanced engineering polymer platform that continues to advance in strength, durability and wear to keep up with our customers’ most challenging tribological requirements.”
Since so many external conditions influence tribological behavior, Celanese experts work directly with manufacturers to select and test the advanced engineering polymers that will work best for each application. Celanese polymers are developed with precise specifications so moving parts have little to no friction and noise while also withstanding extreme temperatures, chemical contact and speeds. Additionally, through the use of these polymers, manufacturers can eliminate oil, grease or other lubrication additives, thereby removing dust and dirt, which improves overall mechanical operation and service life.
The Celanese tribology product platform includes the most advanced engineering polymers to help meet emerging trends across many market segments, including stronger, more flexible conveyer systems for manufacturers as well as lighter weight, more durable bearings and bushings for consumer products. Celanese also fills tribologically demanding needs for manufacturers of consumer electronics, office furniture and automotive components.
Celanese has the industry’s broadest tribology product platform available today. The portfolio includes these materials, each with multiple grades, as well as custom solutions:
- Celanex® polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) is effective in aggressive environments that require contact with harsh chemicals and flame retardant properties enabling longer service life with less part maintenance and downtime.
- Celstran® Long Fiber Technology iscommonly used to replace metal because of its unique combination of mechanical properties, light weight and strength. It performs as well as metal in many applications while costing less and providing greater design freedom.
- Hostaform®/Celcon® acetal copolymer is well established as the preferred solution to meeting tribological requirements across a wide range of applications and markets.
- Hostaform® Extreme Glass Coupled (XGC) POM is a tough, stiff, low-friction glass-fiber material that maintains dimensional stability in extreme temperatures and in hostile environments.
- Hostaform® SlideX® POM offers superior wear, noise and friction performance for applications requiring premium tribological performance.
- Fortron® Polyphenylene Sulfide (PPS) is an inherently flame retardant and chemically resistant polymer that performs well in high temperatures.
- GUR® is an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene that provides extreme impact and abrasion resistance in temperatures as low as -200C.
“The need continues to grow for moving and sliding parts to be quieter, stronger and lighter weight,” concluded Sutton. “Our global team of engineers has deep expertise in the science of tribology to produce the most comprehensive low-wear, low-friction solution portfolio backed by design and technical support from lab to manufacturing to help our customers achieve superior tribological performance.”
Webinar hosted by SAE International with Celanese Tribology Experts
SAE International will host a webinar entitled “Low Wear and Low Friction: A Comprehensive Approach to Tribological Challenges” on Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. EST. In this 60-minute webinar, a panel of experts will discuss a three-pronged approach to understanding tribology and why it’s critical to successful material selection. They will also explain how to eliminate noise, friction and wear when parts move or slide against each other.
To register for the webinar, go to https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1080022.
A Comprehensive Tribology Product Platform
To learn more about Celanese’s comprehensive low-wear, low-friction tribology product platform, visit: http://www.celanese.com/engineered-materials/Tribological-Material-Solutions-for-Sliding-Parts.aspx.
Celanese Corporation is a global technology leader in the production of differentiated chemistry solutions and specialty materials used in most major industries and consumer applications. With sales almost equally divided between North America, Europe and Asia, the company uses the full breadth of its global chemistry, technology and business expertise to create value for customers and the corporation. Celanese partners with customers to solve their most critical needs while making a positive impact on its communities and the world. Based in Dallas, Texas, Celanese employs approximately 7,500 employees worldwide and had 2014 net sales of $6.8 billion. For more information about Celanese Corporation and its product offerings, visit www.celanese.com or our blog at www.celaneseblog.com.
All registered trademarks are owned by Celanese International Corporation or its affiliates.