Europe power industry contracts activity in August 2020 saw 194 contracts announced, marking a rise of 23% over the last 12-month average of 158, according to GlobalData’s power database.
Europe power industry contracts in August 2020: Ireland leads activity
Looking at contracts by country, Ireland led the activity in August 2020 with 84 contracts and a share of 43.3%, up 38.6% over the previous month and up 8300% when compared with the last 12 month-average, followed by the UK with 25 contracts and a share of 12.9% and Germany with 16 contracts and a share of 8.2% during the month.
Looking at the last 12-month average, France held the top spot with 46 contracts, followed by the UK with 14 and Spain with ten contracts.
Solar is top technology area for contracts in August 2020
Looking at contracts divided by the type of technology, solar accounted for the largest proportion with 90 contracts and a 56.3% share, followed by wind with 50 contracts and a 31.3% share and thermal with 12 contracts and a 7.5% share.
Looking at power industry contracts divided by segment in Europe as tracked by GlobalData, Power Plant was the most popular segment in August 2020, with 109 contracts, followed by Generation Equipment (35) and T&D Equipment (31).
The proportion of contracts by category tracked by GlobalData in the month was as follows:
- Project Implementation: 107 contracts and a 55.2% share
- Supply & Erection: 49 contracts and a 25.3% share
- Repair, Maintenance, Upgrade & Others: 19 contracts and a 9.8% share
- Power Purchase Agreement: ten contracts and a 5.2% share
- Consulting & Similar Services: seven contracts and a 3.6% share
- Electricity Supply: two contracts and a 1% share.
Power contracts in August 2020: Top issuers by capacity
The top issuers of contracts for the month in terms of power capacity involved in Europe were:
- Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (Ireland): 1,275.54MW from 82 contracts
- Danske Commodities (Denmark): 480MW from one contract
- Elektrocieplownia Stalowa Wola (Poland): 450MW capacity from one contract.
Power contracts in August 2020: Top winners by capacity
The top winners of contracts for the month in terms of power capacity involved in Europe were:
- Equinor (Norway) and SSE Renewables (United Kingdom): 480MW from one contract
- Zaklady Pomiarowo Badawcze Energetyki Energopomiar (Poland) and Energoprojekt-Katowice (Poland): 450MW from one contract
China Energy Construction Group (China): 270MW capacity from one contract.
All publicly-announced contracts are included in this analysis drawn from GlobalData’s Power database, which covers power plants, T&D projects, equipment markets, analysis reports, capacity and generation, and tracks tenders and contracts on a real-time basis.
4,000 of the world’s largest companies, including over 70% of FTSE 100 and 60% of Fortune 100 companies, make more timely and better business decisions thanks to GlobalData’s unique data, expert analysis, and innovative solutions, all in one platform. GlobalData’s mission is to help our clients decode the future to be more successful and innovative across a range of industries, including the healthcare, consumer, retail, technology, energy, financial and professional services sectors.