Asia is expected to lead the global chlorine capacity additions by contributing about 69% of global growth from new-build and expansion projects between 2020 and 2024, says GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
The company’s report, ‘Global Chlorine Industry Outlook to 2024 – Capacity and Capital Expenditure Forecasts with Details of All Active and Planned Plants’, reveals that Asia is expected to have a new-build and expansion chlorine capacity of 3.06 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) from 20 new-build and expansion projects. Out of these, 12 are new-build projects and the remaining are expansion projects.
Sowmya Sivaji, Oil and Gas Analyst at GlobalData, says: “In Asia, the capacity growth of chlorine will be mainly from China and India, which together account for 84% of the region’s capacity additions. The new-build projects account for most of the capacity additions in both these countries.”
GlobalData identified North America as the second largest region in terms of capacity additions in the global chlorine industry. The entire 0.59 mtpa of the chlorine capacity comes from a planned project, ‘Shintech Plaquemine Chlorine Plant 2’, which is expected to commence production in 2021.
The Middle East stands third, with a new-build and expansion chlorine capacity of 0.34 mtpa by 2024. The major capacity additions will be from the United Arab Emirates, which is expected to contribute about 0.28 mtpa by 2024.
- Quotes provided by Sowmya Sivaji, Oil & Gas Analyst at GlobalData
- Information based on GlobalData’s report: ‘Global Chlorine Industry Outlook to 2024 – Capacity and Capital Expenditure Forecasts with Details of All Active and Planned Plants’
- Announced/Planned: Denotes new-build and expansion plants that are in different stages of development and have not started commercial operations
- A new-build project that has not received relevant/ required approvals to develop/build the project is considered as Announced
- A new-build project that has received relevant/ required approvals is considered as Planned
- This report was built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research, and in-house analysis conducted by GlobalData’s team of industry experts
4,000 of the world’s largest companies, including over 70% of FTSE 100 and 60% of Fortune 100 companies, make more timely and better business decisions thanks to GlobalData’s unique data, expert analysis and innovative solutions, all in one platform. GlobalData’s mission is to help our clients decode the future to be more successful and innovative across a range of industries, including the healthcare, consumer, retail, technology, energy, financial and professional services sectors.