Asia is expected to lead the global ethylene industry capacity growth from new-build and expansion projects between 2019 and 2030, with 47% share, according to GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
The company’s report ‘H2 2019 Global Ethylene Capacity and Capital Expenditure Outlook – China Leads Globally in Terms of Planned and Announced Ethylene Capacity Additions’ reveals that the total ethylene capacity of new-build and expansion projects in Asia is expected to add 49.95 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) by 2030. Of this capacity addition, 47.00 mtpa will come from new-build projects and the remaining 2.96 mtpa will come from expansion projects.
Dayanand Kharade, Oil and Gas Analyst at GlobalData, explains: “Asia will dominate the global ethylene market, as the region is coming up with the large capacity additions in China and India. Together, these two countries are set to add around 35.97 mtpa, accounting for 72% of the region’s capacity additions.”
The Middle East is expected to have the second highest ethylene capacity additions globally by 2030. The region contributes about 20.66 mtpa of the total global new-build and expansion ethylene capacity additions by 2030. Of the total capacity, 20.01 mtpa is likely to come from new-build projects and the rest is from expansion projects.
North America stands third, with new-build and expansion ethylene capacity of 16.78 mtpa by 2030. Of these, most of the ethylene capacity additions will come from new-build projects.
- Comments provided by Dayanand Kharade, Oil and Gas Analyst at GlobalData
- Information based on GlobalData’s report: ‘H2 2019 Global Ethylene Capacity and Capital Expenditure Outlook – China Leads Globally in Terms of Planned and Announced Ethylene Capacity Additions’
- Announced/Planned: Denotes new-build and expansion plants that are in different stages of development and have not started commercial operations
- A new-build project that has not received relevant/ required approvals to develop/build the project is considered as Announced
- A new-build project that has received relevant/ required approvals is considered as Planned
- This report was built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research, and in-house analysis conducted by GlobalData’s team of industry experts
4,000 of the world’s largest companies, including over 70% of FTSE 100 and 60% of Fortune 100 companies, make more timely and better business decisions thanks to GlobalData’s unique data, expert analysis and innovative solutions, all in one platform. GlobalData’s mission is to help our clients decode the future to be more successful and innovative across a range of industries, including the healthcare, consumer, retail, technology, energy, financial and professional services sectors.